Labels

Monday, May 3, 2010

Green Jump Start

It is great to hear about so many people joining us this month. Lots of you have asked about recipes and ideas. Here you go.

The Smoothie Toolkit:
A blender that chops ice
Chopped frozen bananas - Keep a Zip-Lock bag of them in the freezer.
Other frozen fruit
Clean fresh fruit
Non-dairy milks - almond, rice, soy, coconut, hemp
Dark greens - kale, collard, Swiss chard, spinach, wheat grass
A nice big glass!!!

Recipes:

Use any combination of the fruits above and plenty of shredded greens - stems and all.
Add about 1/2 cup 'milk' to 3/4 cup water.
Use ice cubes if you want real coldness or are not using any frozen fruit.

For example:
1 rough cup frozen bananas
1/2 cup blueberries
1 cup kale
1/2 cup almond milk
3/4 cup water

Set on 'ice crusher' mode first, then blend until very smooth. Let it rest a minute so as not to ingest all bubbles. Enjoy!

Additions:
Try some unsweetened cocoa or carob powder to make a chocolate smoothie!
Add 2 dates (pitted) to sweeten.
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla for a vanilla shake feel
Add peanut or almond butter
Add shredded coconut

Please log on and share your ideas/fears/feelings etc.

Have a green day!!!

7 comments:

  1. Okay, day 4 of the smoothie challenge...except yesterday we kept forgetting to make the smoothies, so we missed a day :( I am still working through my 'texture' issues, but really want to try Patti's peanut butter idea. Love that! My kids love the smoothies as well, they usually show up when they hear the blender and start bumming my drink off of me. I tell them its a Shrek smoothie (we also eat Shrek muffins sometimes ;). So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this when I got to Cancun last week. We found a restaurant that made juices. Every morning I'd have spinach, pineapple, orange and lime. Now that I'm home, I'm making spinach, grapefruit, lime and cherry. It does seem like you can pretty much add spinach to any drink and not get the flavor of it, which is a plus for me. I've also been using some supergreens wholefoods powder in addition. Ice really makes a difference as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear Randi!

    Lots of people have been doing spinach. I am a collard green girl myself.

    Today I enjoyed another Reese's Cup smoothie. I added unsweetened natural cocoa powder, and a tablespoon of organic peanut butter. I had the usual banana, ice, water and of course - collards! It was a delicious breakfast.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of the Reese's Cup smootie but I'm loving the ingredients. Tomorrow I will be on the road to Trader Joe's for some peanut butter and then I'm going to give it a shot.

    Sounds mmm mmm good Patti.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is going great. So far I have been having almond milk, bananas (and other fruits that are around mango, strawberries etc), kale (which I got a great deal on a big bag so I keep it in the freezer, ground flax seed (which I sprinkle on just about everything these days)sometimes I add a carrot, and sometimes honey. I am loving my smoothies. I have also been sneaking someing in my kids drinks and the don't even know. I made the Reese's cup one for the girls. One liked it and the other not so much. But I will keep trying different things.

    Thanks Patti

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being my smoothie girl all these years. You are the best and your smoothies are too.

    t

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some current realities in our home...

    1. Reese's Cup smoothies have changed my life. I now like smoothies, can drink them in a flash and they are full of greens!

    2. No matter what smoothie I make my kids, they will refuse to drink it and ask for whatever smoothie I have and drink all of mine. Today I lost out on a blueberry spinach smoothie *sigh* ;-)

    3. Babyfood is essentially smoothies, so now Christian has joined the smoothie craze! His breakfast was a banana/apple/blueberry/spinach mixture (from fresh, not jars). Lightbulb! Isn't this how babies used to eat?

    Patti, I am so grateful for all of the things you have introduced my family to. I never thought I would be a smoothie-drinking, health concious, almond-milking mommy. I am so motivated by the healthy path I am paving for my children and Josh and I.

    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete